CHECK OUT OUR SMOKING FACTS INFOGRAPHIC
We all know that smoking is bad for you, but do you really know what affect it can have on your body?
We have created an infographic stressing the dangers of smoking, what happens when you finish your last cigarette and the lasting benefits living smoke-free can have on your life!
THE SHOCKING FACTS ON SMOKING ARE:
- On average a person that smokes for 10+ years can lose around 557 days of their lifetime.
- Smoking is the one of the most preventable causes of death in the UK causing 1 in 2 smokers to die from the health effects of smoking.
- Smoking just one pack of cigarettes a day will take 11 minutes away from your life – that’s is a shocking statistic.
- 9 out of 10 smokers started before they turned 18 years old
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU QUIT SMOKING IS:
- after 20 minutes, your heart rate and blood pressure returns to normal
- after 12 hours the level of Carbon Monoxide returns to normal
- after 72 hours your lungs start clearing out the build-up of tar, your energy levels begin to rise and breathing becomes easier
- after 1 to 9 weeks, the "smoker's norms" like the constant cough and shortness of breath become less pronounced. The tiny hairs that line your lungs begin to work normally again and start cleaning the lungs which helps to reduce the risk of infection
- after 3 to 9 months, your lung capacity increases by 10%
Check out the SMOKO blog on what happens when you quit smoking and start vaping!
SOME OF THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF QUITTING SMOKING ARE:
- after 1 year the risk of getting coronary heart disease is half as high as a smoker
- after 5 years the risk of getting mouth, throat, esophagus and bladder cancer is half compared to a smoker. The risk of cervical cancer and stroke drops as well.
- after 10 years the risk of dying from lung cancer is halved. The risk of pancreatic and larynx cancer is also reduced dramatically
- after 15 years the risk of dying from heart disease is the same as someone who has never smoked before!
Some of the benefits start to show after just one month since quitting smoking! Quitting with vaping is no different, and one study found that quitting with an E-Cigarette reduced the frequency of coughing and phlegm production, indicating it could be less disruptive to you (and those around you)!
SMOKING AND MENTAL HEALTH
The health effects from smoking impact your mental health as well as your physical health. Around 42% of smokers are affected by mental illness at some point in their lives, and this can have a staggering effect on your physical health - anxiety and depression can cut a person's life by more than 10 years!
Quitting smoking will help to improve your mental health by:
- Saving money, improving your financial situation
- Improve appearance due to healthier circulation
- Improve physical health helps deal with stress
Poor mental health will have a negative effect on your overall quality of life. Feeling strong in the mind helps us deal with daily stresses and overcome life's challenges and feeling low can compound many issues and problems.
There's no avoiding that our mental health is tied in with our physical health, and the chronic stress that smoking puts our bodies under takes a huge toll over time.
Financial freedom is another aspect that quitting smoking could help to give you - and having money available to cover all the (increasing) costs of living will reduce times of financial hardship.
Poor mental health can lead to a worse financial situation, and a bad financial situation can lead to poor mental health - it's a vicious circle, but eliminating your debt can really take the pressure off.
STAYING SMOKE-FREE WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS TO YOUR LIFE:
- More energy everyday
- Better physical performance
- More money in your bank account
- Brighter skin and less wrinkles
- Spending more time with the people you love and care about
- Improved general health and well-being
The UK Government has finally recognised the benefits of e-cigarettes! A recent article published by Public Health England states that "e-cigarettes are at least 95% less harmful than normal cigarettes".
So if you are still smoking and this information has made you question what you are currently doing, why not try a SMOKO Premium E-Cigarette starter kit?
*2022 Update - Now you can try the SMOKO E-Cigarette for FREE when you purchase a box of E-Cigarette refills